Thursday, November 27, 2008

School's closed!! O_O

On Tuesday evening when we were sending Rachel off to the airport, we got stuck in the traffic that was there due to the protests and barricades. We really got to see the beginning of what has now dragged out into a ridiculous stalemate between the government and the PAD. The airport's been shut down, no flights in, no flights out... there're gonna be huge repercussions in the near future. They closed the airport just a few hours after Rachel's flight!! Lol. If only your flight had been on Wed, Rach, if only. X) Oh well, at least we should be grateful you didn't go to the airport a few hours later and then get stuck like all the other people. You were so close to that.

It's funny though, how while the foreigners who were stranded in the airport were so mad, the Thai protestors outside were effectively having a big party. =P The entertainment provided for the thousands of protestors included free food, drinks, bands, party music... (not to mention those clappers. Someone must be making a fortune from selling those!)

It's weird to be able to see the airport just a few km from my room window, and at the same time watch the news on tv, and see what's going on just over there, and not be able to do anything about it. Anyway, there's been some violence, and some other schools have been closed since Wed or yesterday. Our school's got better discretion tho. They've only closed today because the government declared a state of emergency. No violence, no bloodshed, please. I don't know how this is gonna be resolved, but I don't want people to get hurt or killed.

But what a good day to not have school. Last night I was up until 1 trying to finish my homework (all the makeup work and tests from last week), and I couldn't. I was gonna have to just apologize to my teachers, and bomb my test. Just about a minute after the alarm clock rang at 5.40 and I got up knowing that I was gonna have to suffer through the day, my mom came into the room with the good tidings! Not trying to sound selfish, though. I don't like what's going on with the political situation, and I really hope and pray that it won't become some horrific thing. But since school is closed, I am grateful to have today off.

And what great weather to accompany it.

If you read this, please pray for Thailand. The economy's gonna be really bad soon: they approximate that the country's losing about 500 million baht for every day that the airport's closed, just from the tourism industry alone. Other losses chalk it up to about 1 billion baht a day. Also pray for a peaceful resolution, that Thai's won't start fighting Thai's, that other innocents won't get caught in the crossfire.

At the same time, let's also all remember that everything is in God's hands, in His control, and nothing happens outside of His will. For that, we can praise Him, be thankful, and have peace. =)

No comments: